Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Stop! This is the empire of Death

The highlight of our trip to Paris was, without a doubt, The Catacombs. Yes, I am weird and I have an affection for the macabre. But seriously, the catacombs are fascinating. If you ever have the chance, you should experience it for yourself. You go deep underground and walk through endless caverns where you are surrounded by walls of carefully arranged bones. It takes about 30 minutes to walk through (of course, we were down there for about an hour). I had done my research before we went and knew that you are not allowed to use flash. So we brought a flashlight and tripod (hoping they wouldn't say we couldn't use the tripod). Luckily it wasn't very busy when we went and there were periods of time when we were completely alone down there with the bones. Very creepy in an awesome way! Of course I took a ton of pictures, so I'm going to spread them out over this week and next week's posts in honor of Halloween. Enjoy!











4 comments:

  1. I think I love the second picture the most!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, great pictures! That's exactly what I'd love to do if I ever get a chance to visit Paris. Well, that and eat my weight in pastries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to Paris three times, and this was one of the most amazing places we went. I don't even remember what we saw at the Louvre and all the churches start to look the same. But this place I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SO lucky to have visited such a place! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete